Saturday, July 3, 2010

Spotted Horse Ranch Reunion






















Exactly 43 years ago, in the spring and summer of 1967, I, Jerry Amadon from Mass., Gayle Boucher of Billings, MT, and Leonard Francis of Saratoga, WY serendipitously landed by the banks of the Hoback River and at the foot of Beaver Mtn, in Jackson Hole, WY. Each has their own story of what brought them here, you'll have to wait for my book to be published about it (once I get it written). This year, 2010, we all met in Jackson to reminisce; recalling how Lenny jumped into the turpid river to save a lost lamb and how Gayle nursed it, how Jerry helped save Dick Bess's life when their raft turned over in the Hoback's icy spring water, how Dian kept us all sane, and how I sang The Hills of Old Wyoming over and over again for the dudes in the ranch bar and lounge. There is so much else to tell so, really, keep an eye out for my book later.
Our reunion was a gift to us all. Dick and Dian are still spunky at 80 and 82. They've been together since they were kids, 15 and 17; though Dian winks at me when she says, pretending she's saying it on the sly, "We had our ups and downs." Gayle and Lenny returned to the ranch the next year 1968, not knowing the other would be there, for they'd been sweeties toward the end of 1967. The second year sealed it; they got married and two children and grandchildren later, have made a good life for themselves. Jerry stayed in Jackson Hole, Wilson, by the foot of the tetons. He developed his own business digging foundations, etc, investing in real estate (very wise), and building his own home. He waited until age 57 to marry when he found the right gal, Patti Reilly, a professional fly-fisherwoman and trip planner. I returned to PA to be with my family of origin, after running through several professions I became a Social Worker/Therapist, never married, but have succeeded just the same. My life is richer having reunited with my old ranch buddies and former employers. We are all so Blessed to have been able to be on the ranch again, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment