Thursday, June 17, 2010

Montana












On the way to Billings, MT, the sacred scent of sweetgrass and sage filled the breezes. I was graced with at least six different species of waterfowl on a river inlet. Most were birds I'd never seen before; American Avocet, Stilt, yellow-headed blackbirds, and large ducks (I'm not sure what kind). I thought the ducks were some species of goose, but couldn't find them in my bird guide.
After 43 years, I reunited with friends with whom I'd worked at Spotted Horse Dude Ranch on the Hoback River in Jackson Hole Wyoming (1967). Gayle and Lenny were sweet on each other the year we worked together. They both returned the next year, not knowing the other would be there. That year solidified their love and they are now parents and grandparents. They treated me like a queen in their lovely home in Billings, MT. Had my own bedroom suite with whirlpool bath (couldn't use due to my old knees, etc.) We talked about old times and memories that seem like they just occured. Gayle made scrumcious meals and Lenny sang Ridin' Down the Canyon w/me. We made plans to reunite with another friend in Jackson, who also worked on the ranch; and with our former employers, Dick and Dian Bess. Can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment