Thursday, March 17, 2011

My daughter born through another woman

Her 9th birthday was the last time I saw Tishia. I had fallen in love with her the instant I saw her in her hospital basinette; she oozed old wisdom and peaceful countenance in her new body. After her birthday party, I'd sent photos of her with the football I gave her, and which she'd requested. The photos were returned by the P. O. as she and her mother had moved shortly after that day. I tried several times over the next 13 years to locate Tishia so I could give her the photos and once again see her, with no resolve. Last October I opened my e-mail to find a Facebook message from Tishia Lynn stating, "Fran, I think I've got the right person; I have so many fond memories of you. I'm sure it's you." My heart was filled with such pleasure. We made phone contact. Tishia remembers when as a toddler her mother brought her to my home in Yellow Springs, Ohio and we blew bubbles on my front porch. She remembers me carrying her on my shoulders in the Glen and teaching her to hug trees. On this trip to Ohio, Tishia and I reunited after all these years. It felt like we'd never been apart. Our connection seems important. Tishia grew to become a very wise and fine young woman, despite many harsh and difficult childhood challenges. She went on to graduate school, acquiring her MSW, masters' degree in Social Work, and works with challenged youth, exactly my professional path. Like my brother Sam once said because my nieces and nephews favored me in facial appearance as babies, ".....Fran your genes are strong." (I was so excited in spending time with Tishia that I forgot to get out my camera and photograph her. I will try to include one later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment